The other day I was listening to Andy Andrew’s podcast. I love the guy because he thinks differently–and I love it when people think differently. I guess it’s because I think differently than most folks. Just ask some of my parishioners and former parishioners. I can’t remember the exact comment, but Andy said something to the effect: “Don’t make God roll his eyes at you.”
This got me to thinking: Does God ever roll His eyes at us? You do know what “the eye roll” means, don’t you? It means: “Who ties your shoelaces for you?” “Who brushes your teeth for you?” “I’d give you a penny for more of your thoughts, but you wouldn’t have enough money on you to give me back my change.” So, this morning, IF God does roll His eyes at us, here is a small partial list of things that would make God roll His eyes:
- “This church isn’t meeting my needs”
- Blaming the homeless for being homeless
- Enjoying Thanksgiving meal while planning Black Friday Shopping
- Expecting the church staff to be responsible for ALL the mission and ministry of the church.
- Judging someone because of what they wear
- Being rude to a cashier, or anyone for that matter
- “My sin isn’t as bad as their sin”
- Going into church looking mad and leaving church looking relieved that it’s over
- Saying to someone at the funeral home, “God needed them more than you.”
- “The Bible needs to be updated to match our culture.”
- Giving the International Sign Of Displeasure because that driver wasn’t driving fast enough in the left lane to suit you.
- Putting labels on others because of their past
- Saying to the preacher, “I know a lot of people who needed to hear that sermon!”
- “That’s NOT my responsibility or job!”
- “Well, it must have been the will of God.” (spoken after some tragedy or disaster)
Oh, I could go on and on. So in the comments section, tell me what else might would make God roll His eyes at someone.