The time has come for us as Followers of Jesus to become known for what we are FOR rather than what, especially WHO we are AGAINST.
After my first cup of coffee and morning worship music, I begin my morning devotions. The first one I always read is from J.D. Walt. (You can find it at https://www.seedbed.com/daily-text/ ). This morning’s title was Are You a “For” Person or an “Against” Person? (You can CLICK HERE to read it). Here is the first paragraph:
Let me ask it another way. What are you for? Many people (if not most) cannot answer this question with any sufficient or satisfying detail. Over the course of life and time, people slowly become cynical about their ideals, hopes, and aspirations (and even their faith) and wind up becoming more defined by what they oppose than what they are for.J.D. Walt (Seedbed Daily Text)
And immediately, this thought hit me hard: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
ENOUGH of being ugly towards other people. ENOUGH of the negative comments about this, that or the other. ENOUGH pointing the finger of blame at this person or that group. People, HEAR ME! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
The time has come for us as Followers of Jesus to become known for what we are FOR rather than what, especially WHO we are AGAINST. I’ve seen and heard too much of it already. And, I shamefully confess before you the reader, I’ve been guilty of this!
THEREFORE I resolve to immediate resign from the “I’m Against Committee”. But this isn’t enough. I resolve to be, in J.D.’s words, a FOR PERSON. Here are some of the things I am FOR:
- First, and foremost, I am FOR Jesus and I will reveal this through my thoughts, attitudes, words and actions.
- I am FOR kindness and compassion.
- I am FOR helping people any way I can, regardless if they “deserve” it or not.
- I am FOR saying and doing things that builds up others rather than tear them down.
- I am FOR seeing the beauty around me, especially in the chaos around me.
- I am FOR being grateful for everything I have.
- I am FOR being both sincere and authentic, warts and all.
- I am FOR holding the door open for others.
- I am FOR listening to others with all my attention.
- I am FOR forgiving others regardless of the offence or depth of the wound.
I could keep going on and on, and you would give up reading my list of what I am FOR. So let me leave you with Paul’s thoughts about what to be FOR.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.Philippians 4:8 (NLT)
And be sure you love God with all your heart. Love others the way Jesus loves you. And make sure all the glory goes to HIM!